VEGAN FRIED SWEET POTATO
Perfect as a side, starter or as the main. The humble sweet potato goes a long way when you bless it with out bird dust! Great for Vegans and non Vegans alike.
Servings: 4 people
- If Deep Frying: Fryer filled with Oil OR a Pan filled with about an inch of rapeseed oil
- If Baking: an Oven or Air Fryer
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes
- 250 ml Sweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp (Optional) Apple Cider OR White Wine Vinegar
- 150 grams Your Preferred Bird Dust – Crunchy recommended (available in our shop)
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes
- Cut your sweet potatoes into slices, wedges or chips
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil
- Using a slotted spoon, gently place the sweet potatoes into the boiling water for around 5-10 minutes
- When potatoes have slightly softened, (not overdoing it, otherwise they'll break when coating); remove from water and drain
- (Optional) Mix the vinegar with the Almond Milk – this makes the almond milk a little sour to give a similar taste to buttermilk.
- Dip the potato pieces into the Almond Milk
- Spread our Bird Dust onto a plate, then press the pieces firmly into the coating
- (Optional) Want it crunchier? Dip the coated pieces back into the almond milk and then back into the coating one more time.
- Once the the pieces are fully coated, let them rest for 5-10 minutes.
- (Optional) If you're like us and you don't like small patches that aren't coated. Use any leftover coating to give it a final coating, just before cooking
- Deep fry at 165°C (350°F) until coating crisps up. Want less oil? Use our Spray & Bake Oil (see our shop) and oven bake at 200°C (390°F) or Air Fry until cooked
- Sprinkle your Vegan Fried Sweet Potato with some salt. Try it on the side with some dipping sauces, as a main or in as a starter